2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 5 Test drive and new car review

21 Фев 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 5 Test drive and new car review отключены
BMW ActiveE Electric Cars

BMW’s half-hearted hybrid

The BMW is one of my favorite big luxury sedans, only to the Audi A6 — so at a loss to understand how the hybrid could go so terribly wrong. My guess is that the engineers who the other 5-series models out celebrating their excellent when management suddenly they needed a hybrid, so simply gathered up the homeless who live behind the factory and them to come up with

Why do I find the ActiveHybrid 5 so annoying? Get because this may take a to explain.

A troubling lack of

It begins the moment the car is started. other BMWs with the Damping Control option, the 5 has five drive modes: Eco Comfort +, Comfort, Sport and +. Eco Pro is the max fuel-saving mode; it alters the response, transmission shift hybrid system behavior, and control to save fuel.

this being a hybrid, expect it to default to Eco Pro, Wrong. It defaults to Comfort. But if you it to Eco Pro, you’d at least it to remember your setting, Wrong again!

Every time you start the car . it back to Comfort.

Actually, of the settings in the ActiveHybrid 5 are persistent not even the automatic rain-sensing Note to BMW: If you have to the automatic wipers on when it they are not automatic .

And so it was that start of the BMW turned into a of button-pushing: Press the start press the auto hold (which lets you take foot off the brake at stoplights), the drive-mode button twice, the automatic high-beam button if night time and the automatic button if it’s raining. I had to the house ten seconds early to allow time for all those to be pressed.

You wanna save? You suffer

Interior is standard BMW What, no bamboo?

As soon as I off, I discovered why the ActiveHybrid 5 not default to EcoPro mode: it’s terrible . Unless you boot the gas — which the purpose of driving a hybrid the car bucks and jerks like an donkey as the electric motor in and out and the transmission shifts at absurdly low Another note to BMW: fuel does not have to be unpleasant. Ask Toyota.

All of these foibles might be worth it if the ActiveHybrid 5 returned fuel economy. but it doesn’t it really doesn’t. EPA fuel estimates are 23 MPG city and 30 MPG highway worse than the four-cylinder (24 city/34 highway, and one of my favorite efficient cars ) and not that better than the 535i (20 highway). Despite my best (an abbreviated run up the About.com Top Secret Test Road notwithstanding), I just 24.6 MPG — sad considering I saw 26.3 during my BMW 528i test drive .

The is under the hood (link to photo): Instead of using the two-liter turbo four the 528i, BMW borrowed the three-liter inline six from the 535i. And I imagine, was a function of weight: The 5 tips the scales at 4,400 330 lbs heavier than the 535i and 600 lbs more than the 528i. comparison, Infiniti’s M Hybrid is 280 lbs heavier than the M37 on which it is With all that bulk, it does need that pair of cylinders.

Granted, and counter-intuitive as it may seem, not all are designed for fuel economy; are set up for power. The Lexus LS 600h is a example — its hybrid does a passable impression of a big V12. But power, apparently, what BMW was going for either: output for the gas engine and electric is 335 horsepower, and while the ActiveHybrid 5 isn’t slow, it isn’t any than the regular 535i the extra power of the electric is offset by the extra weight of the

Ready for the punch line? BMW $62,295 for the ActiveHybrid 5. Except won’t charge you $62,295, finding an option-free BMW on a dealer’s lot is finding a Heffalump at Home My tester was optioned up to $74,420 almost ten grand more a 528i with the same

And did I mention that the 528i better fuel economy? I believe I did. A couple of in fact.

It’s not all bad. mostly bad

To be fair to BMW, the 5 still has a lot of the attributes that the 5-series one of my favorite cars. big and roomy, but not terribly difficult to The back seat is lovely, and the hybrid’s trunk shrinks to the battery pack — ten feet, compared to 14 in other 5s it’s sensibly shaped and quite useful.

Once you the Eco Pro mode is useless and give up on all fuel-saving nonsense, the ActiveHybrid 5 is rather nice to drive. comfortable and serene in Comfort + and a proper curve-devouring BMW in Sport + and as an added bonus, you can use the torque of the motor to throw the rear end on curves. As far as hybrid powertrains go, one is not completely without merit; other BMWs, the engine mode is virtually seamless, and it a great job of cutting out the engine you lift off the gas.

Like other hybrids, it glide along in electric-only at low-to-moderate speeds — not far enough to have a noticeable on fuel economy.

If you really a big hybrid luxury sedan, suggest the Infiniti M Hybrid or the GS 450h. And while you’re at the dealership, test drive the ES 300h — it’s not as or as rear-wheel-drive-y as the GS or the Bimmer, but it returns better real-world fuel and is more interesting to drive you might think.

If you have heart set on an eco-friendly Bimmer, a much simpler solution: Buy a one. The 328i gets gas mileage, and I’m sure sick of me repeating that the can be said of the 528i. (BMW has introduced a 3-series hybrid; it the same powertrain as this so I’m not terribly optimistic.)

line: As far as I can tell, the best way to the ActiveHybrid 5 in an environmentally friendly would be to drain all the fluids and it in the ocean as an artificial reef. if we ignore the ActiveHybrid 5 loudly BMW will scrap it and design a hybrid. Someone should to see if the engineers who did the other 5-series have returned to the office — Aaron Gold

What I liked about the 5:

ActiveHybrid 5 uses a thirsty six instead of a fuel-efficient turbo

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "BMW":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy