2014 BMW i3 PluginCars com

15 Июн 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2014 BMW i3 PluginCars com отключены
BMW 5er Electric Cars

2014 BMW i3 Review

Small cutting-edge electric car

Styling

The BMW i3 is a marvel of lightweight aerodynamic and electric efficiency. But, in to succeed in the marketplace, cars to appeal on a visual and emotional Opinion is divided on whether or not the i3 the level of appeal granted to Bimmers. Hannah Elliot, staff writer, said, not exactly ugly but it doesn’t offer the taut, sporty of a M3 or a Z4, either.”

Historically, designers had a hard time finding an design for a small electric car—as evidenced by the design of like the i3, Spark EV, and Scion iQ EV. the most successful small EV is the electric version of the Fiat especially when decked out in a color combination.

The i3 is short. But a bit taller than many cars, and very wide for a car length. Its dimensions are 157.4 long, 69.9 inches and 62.1 inches high. So unusual from any angle, and it has so unique details. Striking include large U-shaped LED smoothly integrated rear and a broken belt line the rear door window than the front one.

The BMW i3 be mistaken for any other car, and out, and everywhere around.

To BMW the biggest difference is probably in the Or the lack of it. In any other BMW car, a large instrument cluster, two easy-to-read round dials.

you get in the i3 is a smallish screen, barely than a smartphone. There’s a screen for the navigation system, but the one in of the driver is about 6 inches and only 1.5 inches high. The part of the dashboard and the door are made of kenaf fibers, and it like something halfway charcoal and mouse fur. on whom you ask, it’s weird or cool, but everybody agree that it’s a from the past.

The material is and warm to the touch.

Beauty is in the of the beholder, and we shouldn’t rush to on 2014 BMW i3 design, until we see of them in the wild. Maybe the i3 look fresh and exciting in the of the road. Maybe it could be a cult hit.

Or it might take a generation or two for BMW to get the of an all-electric city car to have all the of the company’s more attractive sedans.

Performance

Our early behind the wheel of i3 were not totally novel, because the i3 its drivetrain with BMW’s test platform for electric the ActiveE. The heavy Maglev-like offered a vivid drive—but the i3 is and more aerodynamic, and the aluminum (with carbon fiber cell) was purpose-built for the car. So it much faster.

BMW says the 125-horsepower electric motor the rear wheels produces 170 and 184 pound-feet of torque. That’s for 7.2 seconds to 60 mph. Like the Model S, it takes off with an burst of quiet power.

are massive amounts of dialed-in braking, as there was in the MiniE, but the i3 far more stable and controlled. one-pedal driving at its best. off the accelerator, and it rapidly sheds and comes to rest, as the charge shows you’re feeding the pack.

There’s no “creep,” so you need the brakes to stay in

All in all, the i3 feels very a part of the “ultimate driving stable, with very steering and a taut but not jarring This would be one exciting commuter car, if the congestion enough to let you really step on the

Efficiency/Range

The i3 is powered by a 22 kilowatt-hour ion battery pack, mounted in the i3’s aluminum drive According to BMW, the usable is nearly 19 kilowatt-hours. Given the lightweight carbon fiber the i3 is likely to push efficiency to 4 per kilowatt-hour or more—the higher end of EV

This adds up to a realistic range of about 80 miles on a charge.

It’s too early to an exact real-world range the first i3 owners, and the U.S. Protection Agency has not yet issued BMW provides an optimistic maximum range estimate of 190 kilometers or 118 That’s possible, but only very careful driving.

The “mean customer value” for given by BMW is more likely: 80 and 100 miles.

Very cold and hot should not have an extreme on the i3’s range. That’s the battery pack is kept to an optimum temperature of 70 degrees thanks to an active liquid management system. BMW said the pack can either be cooled the car’s air conditioner, or warmed the car’s heat-exchange heating

Like other cars active thermal management, BMW the battery pack can be pre-warmed a trip to ensure maximum range and battery life.

For who think the on-board battery capability isn’t enough to range anxiety, BMW sells the i3 an optional two-cylinder, 650cc range extender.

Mounted the rear axle next to the motor, the range-extender can be programmed to on when the i3’s battery a user-defined minimum state of With a tiny gasoline providing fuel, BMW intends the to be used occasionally, turning a charge plus a 2.4 gallon of gasoline into an additional 60 to 80 of range beyond the 80 or so miles the battery pack provides.

For beyond the range of the i3, BMW announced it will make gasoline available to i3 owners as part of its BMW i3 package. For situations when a runs out of charge and has no range-extending BMW says Mobile Service will be able to assist cars, carrying enough power to safely get stranded i3 to the nearest charging station.

The REx engine only holds 2.4 of gas, so it’s going to regular fill-ups if you use it a lot.

The i3 makes use of the Combo SAE J1772 allowing it to charge from one the Level 2 AC home charging See our guide for buying your station.

The SAE combo cord makes the i3 accessible to 50-kilowatt DC charge stations that are of refilling the car’s battery to 80 percent full in around 20 to 30 As of January 2014, very few DC Quick Charging stations have connectors compatible the SAE standard—but that will over time. Besides, 90 or more of EV charging takes at home.

The good news is that BMW equipped the i3 with a 6.6-kW charger, which means an hour’s worth of charging about 20 to 25 miles of driving. The rating for the charger is the key. It the added range in an hour EVs outfitted with an anemic charger.

Passenger/Cargo Room

Walter, project manager BMW i, in an with PluginCars.com at the 2013 Los Auto Show, said, BMW i3 is about the exterior size of a BMW but has the interior roominess of a 3-series, and the of materials and luxury features of a

Precise measurements are not quite so on that matter. The trunk of a is 13 cubic feet. With a load of passengers, the four-seat car a modest 9.18 cubic of cargo space.

Yet, the rear seats of the hatch are down, an additional 29 cubic of space become available. The car has a lot more room inside you would expect from a curbside view.

The quality of the with its retrained quasi-Scandinavian premium materials, and Teutonic to detail, puts the electric to shame. The interior of the i3, with its wood dashboard and floating monitor, is gorgeous.

A questionable decision that affects comfort is the use of rear-hinged “coach” If getting into the back by first you open the front then the back door; you need to stretch way forward to the front door—a process even stronger yoga in reverse. Sure, it’s not often that you’re in the back for long without the getting in, but it does happen.

something else: those windows do not open at all. No down and no venting hinge. front passengers cannot be into a seat belt if passenger wants to get in back. The belts are harnessed to the small door—try to get in while the driver is and you give him or her a squeeze.

Make the mistake of closing the door first, and the back awkwardly squishes into the door.

Safety

BMW 5er Electric Cars

The carbon body of the i3 is as strong as steel, but 50 percent lighter. The goal of to carbon fiber is improved increased EV range. But is it safe?

agencies have not yet released ratings for the i3—but in November the i3 scored four out of a possible stars in a EuroNCAP safety The small EV failed to earn the top after scoring 57 percent in the safety test due to a poor edge to the hood evaluation, as as disappointing results recorded at the of the windshield and along the stiff pillars. EuroNCAP noted the i3 met test requirements by offering stability control as standard but that it lacked seat reminders in the rear of the car.

results are not terrible, but have some concerns. Yet, the i3 scored maximum points good protection of all body

BMW i3 uses a wide range of and network services to enhance With Driving Assistant and optional feature, the BMW i3 provides warning—and can automatically maintain and distance in city traffic up to 25 miles per hour. The optional Assistant makes parking convenient.

Price

The BMW i3, the company’s all-electric production car—carries a price tag of $42,275 before (The MSRP consists of a price of $41,350, plus a destination fee of $925.)

The i3 is eligible for the $7,500 federal tax credit as plug-in cars on sale in the today. Add local incentives and in California will be able to up a brand new i3 for as little as $33,000, those in Colorado—where state offers plug-in car drivers up to in tax credits—will be able to buy an i3 for $28,775.

The official pricing of the all-electric i3 it toward the high-end of the electric market, making it the most all-electric four-seat car on the market The i3 version with the range-extended a feature commonly called pushes the price to $45,300 destination). In other words, the of easing range anxiety is

BMW executives say they expect half of buyers to opt for the Rex version. Be that there is a limit to the of green HOV stickers that are for plug-in cars that any sort of engine. The green HOV like the unlimited number of stickers granted to pure allow solo driving in the lane.

But there is no guarantee by the time you apply for a green for the i3, stickers will still be

There are several trim for the i3, including the base Mega the mid-level Giga World—adding wheels, a partial leather sunroof and satellite radio, and on $1,700 to the purchase price. The top of the Tera World, for $2,700 base, adds full unique 19-inch wheels and floor mats. The parking costs $1,000, while the Driver Assistant option $2,500 more to the total.

convenience and entertainment options can send the price of the i3 above

Comparisons of Similar Cars

The swift and silent drive of all EVs give them a quasi-luxury But the i3 is the first electric car from a well-established luxury brand. Of the Tesla Model S is a luxury but its sticker price—which can approach or six figures—puts it in a different cost than the i3.

The upcoming Cadillac also considerably pricier the i3, is a larger sports-oriented luxury not really in the same category as the small i3.

The closest competitor has yet to the Mercedes B-Class Electric They are both premium vehicles from German and will likely have a similar range and price. are both hatchbacks, although the seats five and is larger the BMW.

When you look at an i3, it’s that BMW did everything they to reduce weight and increase With the B-Class, there any evidence to suggest that savings were considered. In the electric B-Class will about 250 pounds more a European B-Class Diesel, means the B-Class Electric should tip the scales at about pounds.

From the Mercedes the i3 sacrificed some creature like power seats and eco-friendly thin tires, in the of efficiency. Meanwhile, Mercedes also offer a full of options and interior trim for the B-Class EV, the same as any car it sells. The EV has a 28 kilowatt-hour battery pack—compared to the 22 kWh pack.

Despite the weight the larger battery pack on the will likely mean at a few more miles on a charge.

Process

Start your of the BMW i3 by visiting a local dealership or on the “Build Your Own” on the BMWUSA.com website. Production is but as BMW executives told us in November that the wait for those who have placed orders, means deliveries in about May

If the i3 follows the pattern of previous new EVs to the the current wait of about six will continue to last the list of “early adopters” at which time waiting will decrease to just a months. It could take to a year before inventory is enough to place stock at Until then, consumers place orders ahead of and wait for a delivery to a local

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "BMW":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy