2014 BMW i3 Review Car Reviews

21 Фев 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2014 BMW i3 Review Car Reviews отключены
BMW 7 Series Electric Cars

BMW goes green, the organic way

FACTS

1. The i3 offers 170 hp and 184 lb-ft of for a 0-60 time of 7.2 seconds.

2. BMW from 80 to 100 miles of electric or 150 to 180 miles with the optional extender.

3. It weighs under lbs. thanks to a carbon-fiber cell.

4. BMW charges $42,275 destination and before incentives.

The BMW i3 is the of two production cars developed by Project i team. Past from the team were pilots of ‘conversion’ electric-vehicles on current BMW and MINI models. a gas powered car and modifying it into an one will always result in compromises, much like to substitute flour in a baking for anything gluten-free.

Organic to Electric Vehicles

As such, the BMW i3 is err gas-free, from the get-go. BMW imagines that tree-huggers boasting about their carbon footprint, the i3 features an approach and a focus on lightweight At under 2,700 lbs. the i3 a copious amount of carbon — a strong lightweight usually reserved for high-performance and sports-cars.

In fact, the i3 features the first produced carbon-fiber passenger

Due to the low weight of the vehicle, BMW uses a battery and electric motor, are mounted low and rearward, by the drive-wheels. layout allows optimum space — there’s no tunnel or mass of batteries the passenger compartment. With the over the drive wheels, the car also deliver solid and performance.

The one-two combo of and motor deliver an acceptable 170 hp and 184 lb-ft of torque. The peppy i3 drive an estimated 80-100 before needing a recharge. By the i3’s Eco and Eco Pro drive modes maybe uttering a quick to Elon Musk) the driver can eke out 24 better range at the expense of and constant air-conditioning.

Recharge time is under 4 using a 240-volt charger and 30 minutes using the optional DC fast charging system.

a doubt, that 80-100 range isn’t as jaw dropping as the of the car’s stat-sheet — so the i3 is with a 650 cc two-cylinder engine from the brand’s motorcycle When the electric range a certain point, the gas engine on, but doesn’t turn the drive instead it maintains the battery’s and nearly doubles the car’s range to about 180 miles.

We get a chance to test it, but the range-extender may the enjoyment behind the wheel as it 330 lbs and presumably alters the near weight distribution.

The Geek-Chic Is In, Isn’t It?

BMW knows that of hybrids and electric vehicles a sense of differentiation, but is the i3 a bit too kooky Its upright look reminds us a bit of the Fit and the rear suicide doors are a flare with their window opening than the doors.

BMW’s usual signatures are including the dual-kidney shaped the LED corona headlights and the sleek LED tail lights. It’s to call the i3 sexy, but it certainly is – in a friendly alien sort of

Step inside the i3 and it’s a polarizing design. The only recognizable from the rest of the BMW is the iDrive screen and controller. The shifter and start/stop button is a steering column mounted

A decidedly less-cool location for a the interior does gain a bit of by moving it up and away from the console. The aura of the interior is high-tech, even feeling a bit a concept vehicle due to the clean and look.

However, it doesn’t feel like a premium While some parts are to look at, like the eucalyptus dash, they feel odd to the This is a result of sustainable, approach to the i3.

Materials in the car made renewable resources include eucalyptus dash, Kenaf fiber panels and leather that are naturally tanned olive-leaf extract. The overall is nice, but the materials feel than other BMW interiors.

BMW 7 Series Electric Cars

In terms of interior capacity, BMW the car is as spacious as its 3 Series sports-sedan – an feat considering the i3 is shorter even the 1 Series. BMW hasn’t any interior dimensions on the car, and a real world test the rear seat to be rather on legroom. Up front it’s spacious though, and feels it to generous headroom afforded by the oddball shape.

Charged Up and to Go

Step on the go pedal and you’re reminded of what brand is this goofy looking EV. The is immediate and the torque allows you to any gap in the city. The 170 hp and low weight help the car to

From a dead stop, 60 mph in at 7.2 seconds – or perhaps even judging by the feel.

The brakes are grabby. The first unsuspecting of the left pedal will bring the car to a complete stop. there you realize that the i3 a very interesting one-pedal as aggressive regenerative braking the moment you let off the accelerator. After a acclimatization period the car begins to natural and intuitive to drive.

Details like that the i3 feel like a next vehicle.

The steering is direct and helping the car feel a bit more and peppy. Due to the small footprint of the i3 and steering, the car is a joy in the city.

Unfortunately the only place we got a chance to it, leaving our judgement on its handling in question considering the use of super-skinny tires) reserved for a later

The i3 starts at $42,275, including That’s before any government and also before the $3,850 extender. Without a doubt, price gets you into a vehicle that both and feels the part.

The Verdict

But is it it? Maybe for early adopters who trust or can’t pony up for the Tesla Model S. While the i3 as road-trip capable as the Model S, far more affordable and easier to in the confines of the city.

Tesla aside, its more than other EVs, it does deliver a significantly unique and exclusive experience. An 3 Series it’s not, but if is the first mass produced car the BMW i team, we can’t wait for the models to come.

Interesting

Other articles of the category "BMW":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy