2014 BMW i3 Test Drive

25 Апр 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2014 BMW i3 Test Drive отключены
BMW 5er Electric Cars

2014 BMW i3 Test Drive

For BMW the idea of the Ultimate Driving living up to its storied reputation just electric battery may seem anathema — John Wayne trying to in a Gilbert Sullivan operetta. But the BMW i3 will debut in most of U.S. showrooms this May surprise many with how fun it is to drive.

Driving electric is a novelty in the U.S. But in and around the city of Amsterdam, where our drive took place, vehicles are becoming part of the cityscape. The city is chocked of bicycles and bicyclists, undeterred in pedaling by driving rain. But also home to plenty of cars.

As we weaved through the streets, slaloming around the the navigation system lit up no less 12 nearby places to recharge the

BMW is not starting the new i brand of electric just for the Dutch. The U.S. the Union, the United Kingdom, and Australia are among the countries have increasing regulations fuel economy and carbon If not driven by consumer demand, vehicles are going to be driven by authorities with tax incentives for either in the form of higher taxes or tax credits to consumers for electrics, hybrids and clean-diesel

BMW has been at this project 2007. It was in 2009 that the company decided that it build the electric car and powertrain rather than jobbing it out to company. We are at the beginning of a very big change in driving and sustainability, and we are to being a leader in this said BMW board member in of finance Friedrich Eichener.

The i3 is the first of two product introductions in the for 2014. The other is a luxury car. called the i8, which employ a combination plug-in powertrain. If you have seen Impossible: Ghost Protocol, an early i8 prototype that Tom drives for part of the movie as he through the city to try and save the

Judging by two days of driving the i3, BMW is off to a good start exerting its for engineering fun-to-drive cars, when the throaty growl of an is replaced by the soothing whiiirrrrrrr of the drive-train.

It’s roomy, seemingly wired for more than a space shuttle, and It comes with many that telegraph to the driver the savvy designers and engineers who us the 3-Series sedan. the Z4 roadster, X5 SUV and Cooper got serious about a kick-ass electric car.

Price: $41,350

Invoice NA

Powertrain: The BMW electric motor output of 125 kW/170 horsepower and 184 of torque. The car uses a single-speed

Performance: The i3 can go 0-62 mph in 7.2 seconds and in 3.7 seconds. The top speed is electronically to 93 mph.

Range: 80-100 on electric power alone. An small gas motor acts as a extender, keeping the battery for up to 180 miles.

Seating: Five

Cargo Capacity: 9.18 feet

One of the big hurdles for people be the exterior design. While I the design allows for interior that is wonderfully roomy being bubble-like at all, it is a design with a hatchback end. In the minds of many consumers, that design and spells econo-car.

That is not good for a car that has an for most buyers of around after federal and state tax

BMW intentionally made the car look and modern, apart from usual design language. One of the features of the look is the black which extends from the over the roof and into the where it spreads out across the deck. Exterior design on the i3 Benoit Jacob told us he has loved science-fiction illustrated and wanted the i3 to clearly communicate the

BMW does not want the i3, or its successors the i brand, to be seen as anything but a BMW. So, the front grille a twin-kidney shape (despite the car not needing air intake), the BMW logo/roundel on the and a BMW signature line on the lower of the rear window — as the Hofmeister Kick, for former BMW Wilhelm Hofmeister who first bending that bottom on BMWs in 1961.

At only 13 long, the car fit easily into city parking spaces Amsterdam, and showed an extremely turning radius allowing for u-turns on narrow streets.

BMW the interior of the i3 was inspired by hip urban found in cities like New Berlin, San Francisco, London and The first thing one notices is the of a car only 13 feet long. The floor and relatively high line gives the feeling of a true crossover. not a hatchback.

It is noting that Europeans do not hatched vehicles like U.S. buyers do.

In the upper end levels the dashboard is dominated by a wooden (eucalyptus, to be specific) that may make some of an Ikea table. Indeed, it was by the idea of a coffee table in to make the cabin feel homey. The dip in the center plays to the giant 10.2 -inch and i-Drive screen, and provides a home for a cell phone or a wallet.

The big screen sitting on the wood me think of the comfort of my own living at home.

Seats are extremely and I couldn’t help noticing how they are from the side. also contributes to spaciousness.

BMW is conscious about making its big-production electric vehicle as as possible. Much attention has paid to all the materials. The leather, for has been tanned with leaf extract instead of Fibers from the kenaf are used for other surfaces.

percent of the plastics in the interior been replaced with

The i3 will fit four people And I do mean comfortably. It’s that a driver or passenger than 6’3» will a problem for someone if there are people riding.

But on the whole, will be surprised at how roomy it is for and headroom.

The rear doors are that open without being a B-pillar on the side. makes the getting in and out of the rear extremely easy. I am 5’11» and an ample frame, and I was comfortable and getting in and out of the back seat.

cargo space is not wonderful, at a over nine cubic We are talking four or five bags, or probably two carry-on bags and a backpack. But you have to ask how often you are going to have car full with four and luggage or a week’s worth of

BMW 5er Electric Cars

How about never or almost If you’re carrying a load of and stuff on a regular basis, car isn’t going to make shopping list anyway.

off from a dead stop, and you tons of low-end torque you off. No problem getting a highway from the on-ramp. No passing that cautious in the Buick .

The i3 weighs just pounds. That remarkably weight is achieved through the use of carbon-fiber and the small size of the The fact that BMW built the i3 the ground up to be an electric vehicle a big internal combustion engine and transmission means it could every bit of the car for weight and battery

Cars that are converted ICE to electric creates overly vehicles, usually with compromised cargo space.

BMW itself in always creating perfect 50-50 weight over the two axles in its cars. The i3 is no The balance is compromised, however, if a opts for the gas motor that in a compartment beneath the floor in the of the car.

Drive the car a few minutes and you notice the accelerator doesn’t the same as a gas-powered car. your foot off the pedal as you an intersection or turn, and the car engages in is called regenerative braking , delivers power back to the I found no objection to the feel of

This system also huge wear and tear on the and helps to lower the overall maintenance and repair costs by compared with a comparable BMW according to BMW.

The i3 is equipped electric power steering, as dynamic stability control helps keep the four planted on the ground no matter how you be tossing the car around. It also during an accident where a blows and creates an emergency situation.

Where would I fill the i3 up electricity? Besides the network of charges that is growing in the BMW will set you up with a home-charging box by Bosch. The wall-box will the batteries up to 80 percent in under six A full charge, if you start on which will seldom should take about hours.

Most EV owners to charge overnight when is at its cheapest.

An i3 app for smartphones, which we tells the owner the level of the battery is a and enables the owner to set to start when electricity go down.

Other goodies or available as options: the BMW Intelligent system that includes phone, adaptive cruise navigation that displays speed-limit and charging station pedestrian recognition and collision rear-camera, rain sensing and more. There are so many to connect the car to the world through smartphone, and ways to avoid an that, seriously, if you bend car or miss an appointment or crucial you really have to look at to blame.

Sales of electric are climbing as more carmakers them. But they aren’t them because consumers are for them like they do new of potato chips, championship teams and lower taxes. are building them because of government regulations and screw over boosting fuel and reducing carbon output their automobiles. Production of electric vehicles gives the credits to balance out the need to a certain number of highly-profitable and SUVs .

BMW officials say they think the i3, and eventually the i8 sports car and other vehicles, will attract buyers in Europe, the U.S. and other markets who have not considering a BMW up to now, viewing the as standing mostly for old-tech engines and dirty modern I can also imagine that unknown number of BMW owners in an electric or plug-in will be to add an i3 or i8 on the other side of their garage from the 5-Series or X5 SUV.

Why not? The performance and economy of the i3 is compelling. It is fun to drive, and has one of the well-designed interiors I have tested.

Plus, you get a great rush while filling up the with electricity, which can be the cost of petrol or diesel.

The i3 is a package, and would be a pleasure to use as a driver. In the end, though, it be in the eye of the buyer as to whether they a cool — some say quirky — looking is worth around $40,000 out the door. Even if it comes the satisfaction of driving electric.

articles

Other articles of the category "BMW":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy