2014 BMW i8 Coupe Specs Pricing and Release Date Announced European Car

19 Апр 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2014 BMW i8 Coupe Specs Pricing and Release Date Announced European Car отключены
BMW i8 � Electric Car 270kW Auto

A $135700 362hp AWD hybrid sports car that arrives in US showrooms in spring 2014

First plug-in hybrid from BMW Group utilizing TwinPower Turbo and eDrive technology

Available in the United States in spring of 2014

MSRP $135700 (plus destination and handling)

3285 lb curb weight, 362hp, 420 lb-ft, 0-62mph in 4.4sec

94mpg and ability to run 22 miles on electric-only power

The anticipation is over as the all-wheel drive BMW i8 sports car and its full details were released today at the 2013 Frankfurt Motor Show in Germany. Unique to every other production vehicle the brand built previously, the 4-seater i8 coupe combines performance with the latest plug-in hybrid technology in a package that will be available in the Untied States in the spring of 2014. It carries an MSRP of $135700. BMW is calling it, “the world’s most forward-looking sports car.”

The lithium-ion battery pack (liquid-cooled), combustion engine, electric motor, power electronics, chassis components, and structural components all fall within the Drive module. Helping improve performance and stability, the i8 has a low center of gravity of under 18in — lower than any other current BMW model — combined with near 50:50 weight distribution.

Smooth body lines, full LED-headlights, wing-like opening doors and a wide 76.5in stance accentuated by the dual front kidney grilles offer an aggressively futurist stance.

On the subject of light signature unique laser headlights are available as an option where regulations allow – not in US. Laser lighting is monochromatic, which means the beams are near parallel and offer supreme illumination 1000 times greater than conventional LEDS, according to BMW. This type of lighting uses less than half the energy consumption of an LED system.

Standard 20in forged aluminum wheels are optimized for aero and weight savings too. For markets that allow, CFRP three-piece wheels created exclusively for the i8 are also an option for further weight reduction and agility.

User-friendly BMW ConnectedDrive and 360 ELECTRIC services keep the driver connected to all aspects of road conditions, media and vehicle performance levels. Through an integrated SIM card, mobile services such as concierge and accident reporting is also possible. All of this is centrally located on vivid displays within the cabin.

The fully digital display will show speed and rpm readouts when in Sport mode and a “power meter” in Eco Pro mode. The navigation system then connects to the drivetrain management system to ensure route efficiency and battery longevity if the user were driving in full electric mode, for example. A rearview camera and the Surround View system to PDC sensors along with two cameras in the wing mirrors collect outside data on the fly.

That data is then translated to the Control Display from a bird’s eye perspective of the car. If that isn’t enough, a pair of cameras mounted up front helps the Side View system sport cross-traffic early.

Visually, the 2014 BMW i8 looks as if it came out of a science fiction film. Incorporating performance with environmentally friendly makeup and high-technology leaves us excited to test this trendsetter on the road. The era of capable hybrid vehicles is here and there is no denying their appeal, especially after seeing releases like this from the BMW Group.

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "BMW":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy