2011 Chevrolet Volt Test drive and new car review 2011 Chevrolet Volt

25 Мар 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2011 Chevrolet Volt Test drive and new car review 2011 Chevrolet Volt отключены
Chevrolet Electric Cars

Is this the EV for everyone?

Welcome to the — at least the future as by General Motors. The 2011 Volt is a most unusual A battery-powered electric vehicle that you charge at home. it until the battery is depleted about forty miles, or take — and it fires up a engine-generator set to keep you going for 300 miles or so. The Volt is a technical de force — but is it a car Americans can live with?

Read on. base, $43,675 as tested, EPA economy estimates TBD.

Glance: Who needs it?

Like else General Motors the Volt is bound to be controversial. So cut right to the chase: Is the Volt any The answer is it depends.

The Volt’s selling point is its ability to run on power for around 40 miles, over to gasoline when the runs out, and get plugged in for a recharge. So whether the Volt is any depends on how you use it. If you commute during the travel on weekends, and put 10,000 to miles per year on your then you’re a great for Volt ownership.

If your career as a home consultant frequently sees you 100+ miles to job sites, or if you from home and only a few miles a week, then the doesn’t make much It’s as simple as that.

is an important consideration, because the starts at $41,000 and can rise as as $44,680 with options. get a one-time federal tax credit of reducing the out-of-pocket price to — $37,180.) Chevy offers a lease for $2,500 and $350 per month for 36 months. price includes the 240 volt station (link goes to which costs $490 around $1,500 to install. Volt can be charged from an 110V household outlet, but time is 10-12 hours 4 hours for the 240V charger.)

costs for the Volt will but GM figures the nationwide average for a charge will be around or just under $50/month. the Volt switches over to power, it gets anywhere 30 and 40 miles per gallon. So as you can see, the delivers the best value to who can make the most out of the Volt’s range.

In the Driver’s Seat: Tight

Volt dash — the LCD screen in place of a traditional panel

Photo Aaron

I’ve always liked the of the Volt; shame that of the cooler paint colors $500 to $1,000 extra. the Volt was smaller than I and I found the narrow front rather constricting. The slender come courtesy of the T-shape pack, which runs the Volt’s central tunnel and bisects the rear seat.

in the back is limited, but the trunk. small (10.6 cubic is boxy and free of obstructions, so it accommodates groceries or suitcases. My car had a $1,395 option package included leather upholstery, front seats, and an odd psychedelic on the door panels.

The Volt has an LCD in place of traditional gauges; a touch-screen display sits the center stack and controls the navigation system as well as the A/C and The center stack itself a futuristic touch-sensitive panel of regular buttons — a idea, I thought, until I to program the nav system. I couldn’t out why the climate control screen randomly popping up, until I that the heel of my hand was the touch panel.

On the Road: What the Volt does

Driving the Volt is Step on the brake, push the button, shift into and off you go. Flooring the accelerator brings the steady stream of power only pure electric can deliver — a feeling not a jet plane accelerating down the 0-60 takes around 8.5 but passing and merging acceleration is than that number

What sets the Volt from regular hybrid is that as long as the battery is the gas engine never starts. that to hybrids like the Prius. which have an EV but rely on their gasoline for heavy power demands as full-throttle acceleration. Not so the Volt in fact, it’s theoretically that a Volt owner, one with a lead foot, never need the gas engine.

In that situation, the engine is to start and run every few weeks to the gas in the tank from going or the engine from seizing due to of use.

Chevrolet Electric Cars

Once the battery low — range varies 25 and 50 miles depending on driving I saw about 45 miles with the A/C off the Volt stats its 1.4 liter which generates electricity for the drive motor. The engine run at a constant speed, but the Volt’s thought that would an unsettling driving experience, so the revs rise and fall power demand, just in a Prius. The engine can also the electric motor by feeding directly into the driveline, under certain circumstances better efficiency than solely on engine-generated electricity.

The produces less power the main motor can consume, so the keeps a reserve charge in the to boost acceleration as needed. a traditional hybrid, the Volt uses regenerative braking to the battery as the car slows down. The is not meant to recharge the battery, as so would be less efficient plugging in ; the one exception is when long, steep hills, the electric drive motor require more power the engine/generator can produce.

So the Volt has a driver-selectable Mountain which runs the engine at speed to partially charge the and ensure you can cross those foot passes at 70 MPH.

End: A huge leap

Volt looks great in too bad this paint color is a extra-cost option

Photo Motors

What sets the apart is that it’s a fully-functional electric car that tethered to an outlet. While will no doubt flock to it aging bikers to a Ted Nugent the Volt was designed to serve the of Joe and Jane Average — who wouldn’t normally consider an vehicle because of the restrictions impose. With a Volt, the American driver can tool on battery power all day, the car in at night, and start fresh the morning with a full same as if they owned a EV like the Nissan Leaf but unlike Leaf owners, drivers need not worry range.

If they want to drive to Las on a whim, they just up the Volt’s gas tank and go.

Overall, I the Chevrolet Volt is a brilliant and a tremendous achievement: The first car that bridges the gap between vehicles (including hybrids and and completely oil-independent transportation. Is the perfect? Of course not.

But it is the and boldest step any major has taken towards ending our on oil. Well done, GM and thanks. — Aaron

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "Chevrolet":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy