1999 Generation 2 EV1 with NiMH batteries test drive

31 Мар 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 1999 Generation 2 EV1 with NiMH batteries test drive отключены
General Motors EV1

1999 Generation II General EV1

Kris Trexler’s test impressions

in a nutshell . forget the just drive this without worrying about out of juice! NiMH batteries in an EV1 change opinions about limitations of an electric vehicle. put, it’s amazing!!

As one of the early adopters of the first 1997 EV1, I was recently the opportunity to live with one of the new Generation II EV1’s equipped a Nickel Metal Hydride pack. NiMH batteries been a long time to the EV1 — their introduction has delayed due to engineering and production My test drives confirm GMATV has nicely worked out of the glitches and made the amazing EV1 a car that’s ready to make the a better place for a much audience.

On Monday, January 18, I met GM’s Chelsea Sexton at of Airport Marina in Los Angeles. signing the necessary vehicle agreement, I removed the charging from the fully charged green 1999 EV1, VIN The first improvement was quickly the charge port on the nose of the new EV1 now a detent position.

Many of us the 1997 EV1’s reported the of the spring loaded charge door that made the paddle a bit of a hassle unless hands are free. Thanks for to us, GM. Now we’ll have to develop the new of manually closing the door removing the paddle.

I’ve forgotten to do that a couple of in the past few days. A peek the hood showed off the new inverter is considerably smaller than the unit — the drive was hidden under the larger inverter, but is visible in the ’99

The second thing I noticed was the doors close with effort on the 1999 EV1. the windows are fully up on my 1997 the doors sometimes need to be closed, apparently because of cabin air pressure. The doors on the EV1 closed effortlessly every with the windows up or down. I noticed a new outside one piece weatherstrip.

Of course the big shocker was the wake-up 125 miles displayed on the range when I booted the car. the cooler weather we have our mild southern California the wake-up range on a 1997 battery EV1 is frequently 45 miles or less depending on how the car was driven to being charged. I haven’t over 101 miles on an EV1 range since the Charge Across cross country trip in my EV1 in May 1998.

Of course, that range is rarely achievable by the most skillful and conservative of a Generation I EV1 — I enjoyed the of a ideal road conditions and a battery pack when I saw 101 in New Mexico last May.

out of the parking space at Saturn of Marina, I was a little disappointed to my old nemesis, the back-up warning I can only surmise that the have convinced GM brass big lawsuits are inevitable if an unwary gets injured by a silent Rumor has it that it may be possible to the beep-beep on the ’99s at the customer’s — many of us have this little feature as our complaint about the car. in my days with the ’99 the back-up warning horn is the thing I wasn’t ecstatic

Another great improvement the heat pump for heat and a/c is QUIETER, even at full In fact, it’s barely Thanks again GM engineers! The a/c system seems to be more with more air volume at the

I haven’t had a chance to test the Another impression is more detents on the gear selector my ’97 is a bit sloppy, especially in the position — I frequently to maneuver the shift lever to the backup lights — not so on ’99, it snaps nicely the gears.

The first thing I on the open road is the big improvement in Much less body on curves and a major improvement in front wheel drive steer. The ’97s have a to pull to the right when on a right turn, but this is virtually missing in the ’99.

car handles like a sports A nice bonus is a less ride than the earlier Congrats to Clive Roberts and his for these major suspension Some ’97 EV’s louder drive motors others — my ’97 is quiet, so the noise level in the redesigned ’99 drive weren’t very pronounced.

I driven other Gen I cars are noisier than mine, so the motor will be welcomed by drivers. I could not detect any in horsepower — you can still rubber with an NiMH-equipped

I drove 42 miles around the first day without using half the energy in the NiMH I was testing the performance of the car, not babying it. I decided to try a long run on the L.A. freeway system the night, so I charged the car at home up to 100%. Chelsea Sexton that the battery pack be below the half way mark recharging, but it was 71% full when started — the car took 1 25 minutes to fill to 100%, the time reported by my charger at the of the charge cycle.

Throughout the charge and for 30 minutes or so the charge completed, the battery thermal conditioning fans audible. One issue with batteries is pack temperature a warm NiMH pack accept a charge unless it is at or a specified temperature — the at GMATV obviously spent of their time over the couple of years working on the pack cool. The EV1’s T-shaped pack configuration have presented enormous challenges.

No driver of a ’97 EV1 never dream of a drive this in a lead-acid pack-equipped I drove 163.3 miles on one Most of the drive was on fairly terrain, the only notable was the hill on the 60 Freeway traveling from the 605 freeway. I began the at 10:00 pm (outside temperature: 55 from my home in the Wilshire Mile district of Los Angeles, and I-10 west and I-405 as far as El Toro Rd. near Laguna

At the time I got off the freeway to turn I had traveled 65 miles and had only 5 out of 11 bars on the charge indicator. The indicator showed 98 miles for a total of 163 miles (this out to be a very accurate indication I had driven 163.3 miles I pulled into my garage no charge bars remaining). driving my ’97 EV1 for maximum I keep a close eye on the power use trying to maintain 55-65 mph no more than 5-6 bars of use.

Occasionally, 7 bars be required for short distances to safe freeway speeds. I this same technique this NiMH test When I connected my home at the end of this test run at 1:10 am, the reported 0% full — 25min to fill.

I woke up the next morning at am, and indeed the charge was complete only the battery pack were running with the displaying full support.

My day with the car was spent driving around the city. Two trips at blast over the Cahuenga and vigorous stop and go driving on streets depleted the pack 4 bars (out of 11 bars after 45 miles of driving. The charger reported 65% full at the of the charge cycle.

I noticed the battery pack fans operating much of the time driving. The new rear fan was audible as a hum, not at all annoying. Inside the there is a slight hump at the end to accommodate the rear fan (the trunk is virtually flat in area). By the way, those of you wanderlust like me have no — the non-portable 6.6kW fits in the trunk nicely in of the hump. (Of course, the 6.6kW is not designed or recommended for portable convenience charger is absent, a of the switch to NiMH.

The owner’s flatly states that the charger is not compatible with metal hydride battery-equipped I verified this by paddling my convenience charger to the NiMH car as an — the little charger’s red lamp came on, and no charging place. No damage was done to the charger during the experiment it still works fine on the (slowly, of course).

General Motors EV1

The third day was endurance test and an interesting with my red ’97 EV1. My car was the 25,000 mile mark and due for (what little there is to so a friend and I hopped in both charged EV1’s and headed the Santa Ana Freeway to visit at Saturn of San Juan Capistrano, 65 from my home. It was a cool, day — the outside temperature was 60 hardly ideal conditions to maximum range in a lead-acid electric car.

Nearing Irvine with 15 to go, my ’97 was showing 2 bars and 14 range remaining, with ups and downs on the roadway ahead. The ’99 had 8 bars remaining 114 mile range remaining! We to charge the ’97 up for 10 minutes at the Star Mart at Alton in Irvine.

My ’97 showed 18% after inserting the paddle. We put the in the ’99 for a moment to find the pack 68% full after the same distance under the conditions. This is an absolutely IMPROVEMENT!

Good thing I up the ’97 a bit at the Texaco station, we arrived at Saturn of San Juan 1 mile range remaining. We my ’97 behind, and headed home taking a more route in the NiMH car. The 73 Toll Road over the Hills has several big grades, and the was heavy at times — factors along with the temperatures would take a toll on a lead-acid electric range.

After stopping in for lunch we drove home at speeds. Total for the day’s on one charge: 146 miles with 1 miles range remaining.

It dawned on me that an NiMH EV1 takes the guesswork out of extended like these. The hassle that most of us with the lead-acid cars have to is gone. Most drivers are not willing to do the math and deal compromises in their driving

With an NiMH EV1, convinced that just anyone can love this All the positive things we’ve to appreciate with our ’97s has been slightly tempered by the factor — these change everything.

Days 4 and 5: GM. but I was very hard on your car. I tried to get as little as possible to simulate what of range someone living in the might expect. Lots of demonstrations and irresponsible use of the energy in the

After two days of brutality any intermediate overnight charging) the I could do was 86 miles on one charge.

on my experiences the last few days, I typical driving ranges an NiMH EV1 like this:

commuting with minimal and go: 130-150 miles per charge

driving mixed with (including performance demonstrations): miles per charge

worst — hard use including in the hills: 75-100 miles per

Of course, my little red ’97 has part of the family, and I can’t parting with it. I’m may add a EV1 to my household. These advances are too tempting too pass up!

General Motors EV1
General Motors EV1
General Motors EV1
General Motors EV1
General Motors EV1

Interesting

Tagged as:

Other articles of the category "General Motors":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy