2008 Honda Civic Hybrid vs 2008 Toyota Prius (#5) PriusChat

2 Апр 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2008 Honda Civic Hybrid vs 2008 Toyota Prius (#5) PriusChat отключены
Honda Civic Hybrid (3rd gen)

siouxnami New Member

Member Since: Nov 27, 2007 Posts: 16 Likes Received: 0 Location: Rochester Your Vehicle Year: 2008 Prius

Since I just did this I’m sharing it just because others might also be interested.

Part of doing due diligence before I spend $ on a new car I wanted to compare the Honda Civic Hybrid to the Toyota Prius. As it turns out it was a blood bath considering what was important to me. I compared a Prius (package 5) to a Honda Civic Hybrid with Navigation.

This is about as apples-to-apples as you can get. Many features and specs were quite comparable, here is what I found not to be.

First what I liked better about the Civic:

Price: I could get the civic for about $25,000 vs. the Prius for about $25,700 and in addition there is still a $2100 tax credit available for the Civic so all told it runs about $2,600 less.

Interior: This is subjective, but I really like the futuristic 2 level dash display. I also thought the interior surface materials were a little higher quality.

Fit: This is very slight, but I am about 6′ and I did think that I fit slightly better in the Civic than in the Prius, however the back seat and headroom did not impress me much, this comparison was close enough that I did not weigh it heavily.

Now what I liked better about the Prius (preaching to the choir. ):

Safety: Bottom line is that I will never, ever, EVER, purchase a new vehicle that does not have some form of electronic stability control. I am disappointed that some base models of the Prius don’t have it but I think most packages, including #5 add it.

Convenience: The Prius offers a back-up camera, which is real nice. The Civic, despite having a screen right there, does not offer this. What, do you expect me to just turn my head.

Styling: The Prius is distinctive and it’s own car. Anytime you look at the civic you have to compare it to the non hybrid model. It kind of forces you to calculate your return as compared to the the base Civic.

As a result I think that it is easier to view the Honda as a poor investment compared to non-hybrid.

Technology: The Prius has Bluetooth, the Honda for some inexplicable reason does not. This is kind of a deal breaker for me as well. I don’t think you can have a tech savvy car and skimp on that.

Audio: I realize that you can do your own thing after market, but when you are buying near the high end of a line, you should get a premium stereo. The Prius does this, the Civic does not.

Fuel Economy: Let’s be honest, both are very good. But the reality is that a reasonable estimates of 48/45 beat 40/45 any day of the week. This helps to offset the price differential over the life of the vehicles for sure.

Storage: The hatchback and fold down seats allow for far more space the than the civic (thanks jimbok).

Bottom line I think the Prius more than justified it’s price premium with distinction, safety, features, and fuel economy.

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "Honda":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy