2011 Honda CRZ Hybrid Review

22 Фев 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2011 Honda CRZ Hybrid Review отключены
Honda CR-Z Electric Cars

2011 Honda CR-Z Review

It s hard these to find a unique niche in the US market. There s a vehicle to basically any need and price  I mean, why else does make the R-class and the CLS? anyone really need a 4WD AMG-engined Minivan?

Not but Mercedes saw a niche and filled it. this practice of niche works out (Subaru Outback!) and it doesn t (GMC Envoy  Honda saw an opportunity to both an empty niche in the market, and a retro reference to one of their classics.  Thus was born the hybrid, an odd amalgam of Civic first-generation Insight, and a touch of  And maybe Fiero.

It s but does it make sense?

it depends on who you ask, and what you to do with it.  If you ve got kids and cargo and a to carry more than one no.  While the stubby little is available in Europe with a set of back seats, here in it s two or buy something else.

There s a parcel shelf in the back probably a lot handier than that people with could never sit in) and a decent of room in the trunk especially the rear shelf folded but it s still not a cargo hauler.

If you re a racer, also no.  While the is currently the only Hybrid on the market with a manual (a six-speed with really throws), there s still a total of 122bhp under the between the 1.5L single-cam 16v I4 with the Fit, although than the 1.3L in the Insight the CR-Z is based on) and the 13bhp DC electric motor sandwiched it and the transmission.

If you re a hyper miling fruit-of-the-earth still no.  The CR-Z decent mileage 31/37 the six-speed manual, or 35/39 the optional CVT but there are conventional with room for 5 people and priced comparably, that get mileage without an electric  The new Hyundai Elantra is not as cool as the CR-Z (by a long but it s 1.8L 140bhp engine 40mpg highway with a six-speed manual or automatic.

new Focus and Cruze also 40mpg ratings in various with more power and  Honda s own Civic sedan, a 1.8L manages to hit 41mpg in HF trim for 2012.  That s to say of super-milers like the Prius, Diesel, etc.

So what s the  Well, it s something Honda s before: a fun-to-drive, efficient, two commuter car.  Like the CRX was so beloved in the 80 s, it s designed to get you and your where you re going with mileage, good looks, and a of fun-to-drive.  Oh, and a load of

When you look at it in these terms, it makes a lot more if that s what you re looking

On the tech side, Honda has to produce the only hybrid in the that is actually fun to drive.  well, the availability of a manual helps.  But the big thing is the 3 Drive System, which most other car out there, does something.  There are settings- Normal, Sport, and

The mode selector throttle response, steering the way the A/C acts, and more importantly, how juice the electric motor to the equation at any given time as as changing the color of the glowing around the tachometer.  Red for blue for Normal, green for  The CR-Z starts in mode as default, and true to it s pretty normal it feels a Fit with a low roof and an extra  Throttle tip-in is totally and since Honda s IMA can t run in all-electric it really just feels a normal car.  Switching to basically ruins the fun and makes the car to drive around town the actually responds to input down at the floor, the A/C lowers it s fan the steering is parking-lot light, and you re the whales.

Top tip: when you get in the step one after starting it and up is to engage Sport mode.

mode stiffens up the steering considerably as well as makes the razor-sharp, and increases the amount of the battery dumps in at part  The difference between and Econ is night and day while the crawls off lights in Econ, it off them in Sport.  A neat as a result of this: hold the at a steady position in Normal, push the sport button, and the car accelerate as the throttle calibration  This type of setup makes Honda s IMA setup sense a button to suit driving mood that changes how the car drives?

Neat!  On the roads, Sport is a must the torque from the electric lets the CR-Z pull out of corners quickly in 2nd gear it would struggle to power out of in  After all, the gas engine is a 1.5L single-cam there s not a lot of low-end torque to be had.

tech goodies include a system that saves when you re standing still the first time you experience it, by the way did the car stall?), which still t factor into the EPA s mileage despite having proven benefits.  When you pull to a stop in neutral, the motor out but the A/C continues running.  When you dip the in to engage a gear, it fires up seamlessly since it uses the motor instead of a regular to crank over, there s no .

What s really impressive is how at the CR-Z feels on the highway. to the decent gearing spread, it about 3,000rpm at 80mph in gear, which is unusually gearing for a small motor possible thanks to the extra from the electric motor. is where Econ mode makes sense if you ve got the cruise set and you re to DC, why not maximize your fuel

The light steering and throttle response is actually on the highway, where the car doesn t so hyper.

The interior is mostly news.  The materials are reproach, and the design of the basic is very imaginative the separate tier for controls close to the steering is a well-thought out ergonomic choice, the 3-spoke steering wheels hand controls is totally and everything s labelled legibly and  There are a few odd mis-steps for this of car: no available sunroof due to the rake of the roofline), no available seats, and what s up with the button to switch from MPH to  Can t that be a sub-control in a somewhere?

Odd.

Styling is a mixed bag, but definitely leaning towards good than  The most evident CRX trait is the double-rear glass  The glass on the hatch is long, but it s raked at such an as to really only offer a few of height to see through, which is the characteristic back light in handy.  It looks tiny the outside of the car, but you basically see all behind you through this vertical strip of glass, than the rear glass  The Kamm-tail styling of the 1G and CRX is clearly evident (as is some influence in the front valence,) but the certainly isn t a retro vehicle by any the surfacing and details are very and folded-origami.  It s lineage is obvious, but it s not a

The changeover from to negative surface area on the adds a lot of interest visually, from a front 1/4 view. viewed directly front-on this thing s got a big nose.  I m it s related to a need to pass safety regulations, but it s unfortunate low hoodlines have been legislated out of existance for world

So I ve talked about who won t buy a CR-Z. will?  Well, I d say it s a car that sell primarily on it s looks it s unique, especially in a color the test car s North Shore Pearl as well as the technology  The mileage won t hurt, but shopping purely on MPG s will elsewhere.

The reasonable price, fun chassis, well-integrated and useful technology, and Honda for reliability won t hurt either.  It s not for but that didn t stop the CRX succeeding.  We ll see how the CR-Z holds up in

Also worth noting: tuning arm Mugen will be a prototype CR-Z at the Goodwood of Speed that should fix the of power issue:

Yes, s a supercharger.  Mugen claims a combined output of 197bhp and of torque from this which also utilizes internal components as well as snazzy Mugen carbon-fibre and of course it s got a Mugen bodykit, coilover suspension, upgraded etc.  Mugen says it s not for production, but I wouldn t be surprised to see the setup for sale considering how RD cash they must thrown into making work right.

Now that would be a CRX Si successor.  Honda: sell as the CR-Z Si, and the Hybrid as the HF.  You you want to.

Note: after and publishing this article, I to a few more realizations about the I felt I needed to add.

The significant thing about the above all else, is this: It s the hybrid that doesn t put the on A) being a Hybrid, OH MY GOD GUYS, out my hybrid, I m so Eco-Conscious! or B) Blending in so don t know I m driving a hybrid I m a cheap skate.  It s the first that s actually fun to drive. though it s not perfect (by any means), is the first example of Hybrid making a car more fun to drive it would otherwise be without it. inclusion of an electric motor and braking doesn t make the feel like a video it has tangible benefits in day-to-day for both the eco-conscious driver and the driver.

Would I like car better with Honda s or K24A2 under the hood? I love lots of power and revs.  But Honda s something I thought impossible driving the CR-Z: a Hybrid doesn t torture the driver.

that, they deserve credit.

2011 Honda Base 6MT Specifications

Base $19,200

Price as tested: $19,950

Honda CR-Z Electric Cars

3-door unit construction

Drivetrain: Front-Transverse Engine, Wheel Drive, 6-speed transmission

Engine (gas) . I4, Block Cylinder Head

(Electric): DC Brushless (Permanent AC Synchronous)

Battery: Nickel Hydride, 100.8v Output, Capacity

Fuel Tank 10.6 gallons

Theoretical 392.2 miles

Wheelbase:

Length: 160.6

Track 59.6 /59.1

Width:

Height: 54.9

Curb 2637lbs

Main Competitors: Cooper, Fiat 500 Sport, tC, Honda Civic Si 2dr, Hyundai Veloster, Mazda 3s 1989 CRX Si with a B16A 1999 Honda Insight

Stylish, Decent fuel Base Price, Nimble 6-speed Manual In a Hybrid, integration of technology, It s a Fun Hybrid!

Should either be better on gas or no sunroof or leather available, penalty for manual

Conclusion: It s no and it s no 1st-gen Insight, but it s still a likeable car anyway.  Could be for you anyway.

Thanks to Wayne and Rick Bricker at Leith of Raleigh for the test drive and time!

Honda CR-Z Electric Cars
Honda CR-Z Electric Cars
Honda CR-Z Electric Cars

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "Honda":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy