2011 Honda CRZ Review Car Reviews

15 Апр 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2011 Honda CRZ Review Car Reviews отключены
HONDA CR-Z 1.5 i-VTEC Sport Manual 6-speed

Honda builds a better MINI Cooper, that just happens to be a hybrid

FAST FACTS

1. A 1.5L i-VTEC 4-cylinder and 10-Kw electric motor combine to produce 122-hp and 128 ft-lbs of torque (123 ft-lbs with the CVT).

2. Honda’s IMA Hybrid system is a less advanced system than the one in the Prius. The car can’t operate on pure electric power, but does get electric assist, as well as a start-stop system and regenerative braking.

3. Fuel economy ranges from 35/39-mpg (city/highway) for the CVT and 31/37-mpg for the 6-speed manual.

4. Base models start at $19,200 while a nicely equipped EX with the CVT goes for $21,410.

5. The CR-Z is the only hybrid available with a manual transmission.

There are a lot of misconceptions about this new Honda product, and it’s easy to dump on a car that isn’t extraordinary in any one obvious way. With 122-hp it won’t deliver the thrills of a K24 in an EK (yea, we know Honda codes too), nor does it get the fuel economy of a Fiesta or a Prius, with a 35/39-mpg fuel economy rating. And it’s not a sports car – although it certainly handles like one.

Nor is it a hybrid in the way people expect, meaning that it doesn’t and isn’t intended to deliver a revolutionary change to the way we drive.

Forget all that; the CR-Z isn’t competing with the Fiesta, nor is it up against the Prius, or any other hybrids on the market for that matter. Pigeonholed into a single segment, the CR-Z is the catastrophic failure any Honda fanboy with a modified CRX will tell you it is. But when looked at as a whole it represents a vehicle that’s more than the sum of its parts and so much more than these other cars, delivering a package that’s good on fuel, great on the eyes, a blast to drive and an urban status symbol.

Not convinced? Just forget it’s a hybrid for a second and imagine a MINI Cooper that gets better fuel economy, is just as fun to drive, looks 1,000 times better (inside and out) and is virtually guaranteed to have absolutely stellar reliability. That’s right, the CR-Z is a better Cooper and, coincidentally, is priced almost identically.

If we sound a bit too enthusiastic, please bear in mind we didn’t come to this conclusion lightly, with Honda giving us endless reasons to be critical of its decisions as of late.

HONDA’S IMA HYBRID SYSTEM DELIVERS MINIMAL FUEL ECONOMY GAIN

We do, however, have one big complaint about the CR-Z and that’s the Integrated Motor Assist (IMA) hybrid system it uses, which is, to put it mildly, obsolete. The issue with the IMA system is that it’s not just delivering the fuel efficiency gain you’d expect. And while it is inexpensive, the CR-Z would be a far more impressive vehicle if Honda could muster its engineering talent to deliver essentially the same vehicle with an added 15 percent fuel economy rating and an average of 40-mpg.

As it stands, the IMA setup is no better than direct injection.

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "Honda":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy