2011 Honda CRZ Test drive and new car review 2011 Honda CRZ

31 Мар 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2011 Honda CRZ Test drive and new car review 2011 Honda CRZ отключены
Honda CR-V Hybrid

A CRX for a new generation

Meet the 2011 Honda’s new sporty hybrid. The answer to Honda’s legendary the CR-Z is a two-seater that says will deliver sports-car thrills and hybrid economy in a small, versatile Can one car really do all that?

Read on. range $19,950 — EPA fuel economy 31-35 MPG 37-39 MPG highway.

First CRX reborn?

The 2011 Honda is supposed to be the spiritual successor to the CRX. For those who aren’t the CRX was a zippy little two-seat coupe that Honda from 1984 to 1991. It next to nothing, so it was quite and agile despite its rather engine. Honda made the CRX in flavors: The CRX Si was the quickest and sportiest, the CRX HF was extra-fuel efficient, and extra-slow, and the CRX DX in somewhere in the middle.

The CRX remains sought after today, and as you may guessed, you’re talking to the man who one: I have a clapped out Si, and even in its sorry state, more fun to drive than a many of the new cars I review.

So the 2011 CR-Z is supposed to be the CRX — except you can’t build a modern-day CRX, at not in this country. Stricter standards and shifting consumer mean that cars be better equipped. The original CRX did airbags, anti-intrusion door power windows and even steering, all of which are must-haves — and all of which add weight.

Honda thinks they’ve a way around that: By making the a hybrid, Honda says can fine-tune the powertrain’s characteristics and a similar driving experience to the old

Before we delve into the details, let’s talk the styling. Like the original the CR-Z is a wedge-shaped two-door When I first saw the photos, I the CR-Z’s bulbous nose awkward and a bit ugly, but in person, car is a stunner.

And I mean that in a way.

In the Driver’s Seat: the twelve-year-olds

Dashboard is sensibly out, but design looks a bit

Photo Aaron Gold

Inside, the CR-Z is also a but not in a good way. The dashboard goes to photo) looks it was designed by the same group of twelve-year-olds that did the Fit and the Insight. the simplicity that was a hallmark of the

From certain angles it like two different designs in the factory. I do like the instrument though, with its integrated and digital speedometer. Note the ring around the speedometer, changes color to indicate how you’re driving: Green is dark blue is wasteful. And you put the CR-Z into sport it glows an angry red .

The jazzy seats are comfortable and supportive, the passenger seat feels it’s mounted too close to the (The driver’s seat is adjustable.) Behind the front is something that looks a back seat. but isn’t although CR-Zs sold in and Japan get a back seat, CR-Zs have a package and a sticker warning of imminent if you even think of sitting there. No matter, as if there seats back there, would be almost no legroom. The can be left in place for cargo or folded down to expand the mediocre 9.8 cubic foot to a much more usable cubic feet.

As with Honda’s other hybrid, the 4-door Insight. a hybrid battery/controller unit a low trunk floor, while the big makes for easy loading.

On the Not a CRX, not an Insight

The CR-Z’s is based on that of the Insight and Hybrid, but the gasoline engine is — 1.5 liters instead of Total output is 122 horsepower and 128 of torque with the manual (123 lb-ft with the automatic transmission). Yep, you that right — the can be had with a six-speed stick.

only 10% of cars sold in the US manual transmissions, Honda that 25 to 30% of CR-Z buyers opt for the stick, even though less fuel-efficient than the (31 MPG city/37 highway for the stick 35/39 for the auto).

I mentioned the old CRX was available in three flavors, and the hybrid system, Honda they can deliver all three in one package. The CR-Z has a mode with Sport, Normal and buttons. In Sport, the hybrid pours juice into the motor like there was no It also firms up the electric steering system, mimicking the steering of the old CRX (although it can’t the CRX’s feedback). The CR-Z incredibly fast — still only a 122 hp car — but the motor gives the CR-Z the pull you’d get from a engine.

HONDA CR-Z 1.5 i-VTEC Sport Manual 6-speed

Hit the green Econ button, and changes. The steering lightens up, the motor all but goes into and the engine responds less to the throttle.

Although the CR-Z is largely on the Insight, it doesn’t like one. The ride is and the handling is sharper, although if the CR-Z is even noisier on the road. The fun factor isn’t as high as the old CRX; there’s no for light weight, and at 2,700 the CR-Z can’t hold a to the one-ton CRX.

Still, the is exceptionally well balanced; your foot off the throttle in a and it will even oversteer a bit a trait enhanced by the economy-tuned lack of grip.

Journey’s Sorting things out

2011 CR-Z

Photo Honda

My test drive at the CR-Z preview left me feeling a indifferent — but after a week-long test drive, a run on the About.com Cars Top Secret Test Road, I became a fan. The CR-Z doesn’t like a two-door Insight, was what I was expecting (and, if honest, fearing), although it doesn’t quite drive a CRX, which is what I was for.

But the CR-Z does have a lot of the old good attributes: Sharp easy parking, and outstanding (You’d be amazed how much you can fit into a 25-cubic-foot trunk.) And the original CRX, it won’t up like a foil gum wrapper if you get a crash.

Would I buy one? Pricing for the CR-Z starts at for the base model, which alloy wheels. automatic air electronic stability control and everything. The top-of-the-line CR-Z EX navigation and an automatic transmission for $23,960.

Here’s the problem: For the same amount of money, will sell me a Civic Si. not as small nor as good-looking as the CR-Z, and it get the same gas mileage. But its quicker and through the corners quicker the CR-Z. That said, the Si isn’t available with an and the CR-Z is — but then so is the Volkswagen GTI .

At the end of the day, I think the CR-Z is to have no trouble finding A car can’t be everything to everyone, but its big trunk and three-mode hybrid the CR-Z comes pretty close. Yep, I think a lot of are going to like this

As for me. I think I’m going to out to the garage and start fixing up my old — Aaron Gold

HONDA CR-Z 1.5 i-VTEC Sport Manual 6-speed 3dr
Honda CR-Z Electric Cars
Honda CR-Z Electric Cars
Honda CR-Z Electric Cars
Honda CR-Z Electric Cars

articles

Other articles of the category "Honda":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy