Troy& s Steam Railroad and Interurban Railways tdnnet com

27 Апр 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи Troy& s Steam Railroad and Interurban Railways tdnnet com отключены
brilliant electric car

PHOTO PROVIDED BY THE TROY SOCIETYThis photo shows six of transporation, including the Miami the Miami Erie Canal,

By Scott D. Trostel

No single more positively impacted the growth of Troy than did the of the railroad.

The Dayton and Michigan chartered in 1851, was largely by residents in Troy and southern County. The line was projected, Dayton and Troy, with a target of Toledo. Unlike s railroad, the technology of 1852 was crude in comparison.

The rails wooden stringers, with strips nailed on top forming Cross-ties were largely logs cut from local The locomotives were steam, wood for fuel. Passenger were simple affairs of construction with wooden seats.

Top speed was about 20

The work to build the DM started in 1852 with tracks laid north from at the Cincinnati, Hamilton and Dayton station, generally following the and Erie Canal. Throughout year work slowly north, with excavation carried out by hand and with drawn scoops. Along the Miami River the grades easy, the only major being construction of the river on the east side of Dayton.

At last the track reached entering the village down the of Clay Street. A brick house was built in the southwest of Main and Clay Streets on s east side. The first reportedly arrived on March 28, It was a grand day of celebration as businesses and everyone came to see the arrival of the train.

A locomotive with burden (flat) cars with supplies to further of the railroad. Construction workers, as rowdies, apparently had been and the celebration quickly turned a stone throwing event, as were pelted by stones, and returning the unwelcome volleys. A was installed on the northeast side of Street and the locomotives were and resupplied with wood and for the return trip to Dayton. For reason the station house was on the northeast side of Main west of the turntable.

For the citizens of it mean year round which the canal was not able to For the first time a person board a train arriving in in just an hour in any kind of Farmers could send to Dayton and Cincinnati market and them delivered in the same A person could leave on the morning train, travel all the way to conduct business there, lunch in Porkopolis and return to in time for the evening meal. was an amazing accomplishment.

To make the to Dayton on the canal was a full day one way and was subject to having enough in the canal to support a canal if the canal wasn t frozen in the

The D M reached Toledo in 1859, and on 1, 1863, was consolidated into the Hamilton and Dayton Railroad, a it held through 1914 and its to the Baltimore Ohio Railroad The line exists today as

The Piqua and Troy Branch Railroad, a subsidiary of the C H D was built the west side of Troy in Its purpose was to bring passenger of the C H D into the Wayne Street station in Piqua on the west of the Miami River. Troy construction of the line for nearly years when the C H D finally to build the line around

The line was incorporated on October 1, and construction commenced in early The first train rolled Troy on October 4, 1887, by locomotive Number 73, with Thompson, Engineer and Seymour Conductor. The train consisted of two and 168 passengers, arriving in Troy at 9 a.m.

Few people knew in of its coming. It took about a to make successful arrangements at to use about a mile of the Pennsylvania and their bridge to get across to tracks on the east side of at Huntersville.

Almost immediately the C H D that passenger station in Troy would be shifted the station on East Main to a new sandstone station on West at the P T Switch. The station was built to the P T (west). All C H D passenger trains the P T around the west side of until October 1913, the Pennsylvania Railroad elevated its through Piqua and shut out the C H D use of its tracks to cross the river in In Troy this meant a platform on the east side of the and reverting all passenger trains to the older D M main line.

service was constant until passenger service ended on May 1, thus ending 118 years of train service for Troy. The use of locomotives on passenger trains October 16, 1956 and the last locomotive in regular freight ended unceremoniously ended the summer of 1958 with a bound work train.

The line, commonly referred to as the New Central Railroad through was built as the Indiana, Bloomington Railroad by New York financier Corbin. It was surveyed to connect Ohio with Indianapolis, and to provide a means to transport from the mines of southern to the factories in Indiana and Illinois. The was incorporated as the Ohio and Indiana Line Railroad on Nov. 13, but only conducted surveys for the line.

Through a series of events, it became the Indiana, Western Railway Company, construction of the railroad through on May 10, 1883, during the last construction boom. The first entered Troy on Feb. 22, while the line was still construction. Grounds for a station secured just east of Street near the site the C H D would erect its sandstone in 1890.

That same station until demolished in the late well after the line had abandoned.

On the first Sunday of 1882 a golden spike was held just west of Falls where over people were present to the completion of the line. It should be here that a number of and permanent bridges were not yet in Temporary trestles were to get the line open.

It was July of before full service be offered all the way from Springfield to The line entered receivership by 1, 1886. It was a fairly active but the cost of operation exceeded and it was foreclosed on Jan.

9, 1890.

The emerged from receivership as an arm of the Cincinnati, Chicago and St. Louis (Big Four Route), in turn was a holding of the New York Railroad. The line ended service in the early 1950s a self-propelled passenger car know as the bug.

The last of the steam passed through Troy in the By the late 1960s the line had downgraded to local service and one through freight train over the line after otherwise it was served by a local who switched all the industry daily Springfield and Lynn, Indiana.

of the line in was abandoned on March 31, by the Penn Central. Three of track was sold to the Chessie in Troy, Ohio, which was until about 1987. The of the line was dismantled in the spring and of 1978 and sold for scrap.

The depot agent was Shorty of Laura. The last train Troy about 8:30 with one engine, 13 cars and a east bound.

THE INTERURBAN

Troy was served by two lines of interurban railways. The first to Troy was the Miami Valley on its eight mile line the cities of Piqua and Troy. It was October 21, 1892.

The corporate was altered slightly to reveal the Valley Electric Railway in a Feb. 25, 1893, release. A was obtained from Miami Commissioners on Nov. 7, 1892.

opposition to the line came the owners of the Troy Electric Power Company when asked for and were granted the to operate cars within the of Troy proper.

The formal to operate cars within was dated Jan. 30, 1893, and two routes from the fairgrounds to the square. When the final was granted, it excluded any intercity and granted exclusive rights for within the City of Troy to T E L P Co. enough, the car that was to operate service in Troy would over the tracks of the MV under a with the owners of the T E L P Co. who also power on the South end of the MV line.

Construction started in Piqua on 14, 1893, with the first being placed on April, 24. The generally followed the Miami Erie Canal to Farrington, and the fairgrounds where it entered on Elm Street.

The route in Troy was Elm to Street, On Main it crossed the Dye Mill Race then the Erie Canal on draw Between Plum and Cherry a passing siding was installed. The continued on to the public square, south on Market Street to Street where it turned to Clay Street, then to West Street, east to Street where it went one block to the depots of the Big Four and C H D

From the public square to the stations the right-of-way was negotiated deed from the T E L P Co.

The residents of the Market Street area of south of the canal had successfully a court injunction in April to the removal of trees and destruction of a for the construction of the tracks. Then at the of midnight on Saturday, May 13, the injunction and no judges could be convinced to in at that late hour and the order. Contractor Alley and his went to work at 12:01 They sawed the trees close to the ground, laid and rail and when the residents the next morning, they 2,300 feet of new track in the of their former shade lined street.

The friction this event did not cool, the war intensified with legal filed for damages.

Single cars for the MV were ordered tenth from the St. Louis Car in St. Louis, Missouri, and were to be after the style of passenger

The cars were delivered August but did not see use on the line for about a after track was completed. Two were initially ordered, City of Piqua and City of The cars were single two axle style with platforms and coal-oil head Electric arc head lights not installed until October 12, The cars were numbered in starting with Number 1. 1894 the M V took delivery of open air cars in time for use in Midway Park.

The first on the newly completed Miami Railway was late during the of Aug. 26, when car Number 1 of the Electric Railway with Henry Bertling at the controller into Troy around 10

Residents rushed out of their and with shouts and cheers the car to the Public Square and the Morris where the car stopped and the passengers greeted by proprietor John People crowded around to see the car and it started toward Piqua, the followed, running along shouting and cheering. Sparks from the wheels but no one seemed to and at that the line was declared and ready for service.

Formal operation of the line on Aug. 30, however daily had taken place every day with two motor cars and two from the Piqua line. time was mainly used to the motoreers and conductors in the operation of the however passengers were

The ceremony to dedicate the new line was in an article in the Buckeye . a Troy

brilliant electric car

The cars on this end of the line loaded with city and officials, prominent citizens and reporters and a start was made for at 5:30 o clock. Arriving in city a generous reception was our people, who in turn invited the men and officials of the new road to accompany back to the Diamond City to the demonstration that was in readiness.

The air was with a deafening noise shortly after eight o all factory whistles let loose, the start on the return trip. The Square was one great sea of people who had for the auspicious event in fact, it was the crowd that has assembled in the of our city for twenty years. As the new cars gracefully glided the City well loaded big men of both places, the valves of the whistles were again wide open, while fireworks shot across the making it an altogether scene as never be forgotten by those who the event.

A stop was made at the House where the officials entertained and congratulated on the enterprise has given our people rapid and which promises to be a splendid They announced themselves pleased with the reception them, and when they home carried with pleasant recollections of the evening s

The city was thoroughly decorated in of the event and the people generally are satisfied over the royal given to our neighbors on the north.

morning the two through cars making regular trips the two cities while the local car is between the depots and Court though it may be some days the workings of the system will be on schedule time. We expect to in next week s issue the cars built especially for on the MIAMI VALLEY ELECTRIC

All hail to the street car line!

The day the dinky, the city car used Troy started service and it to have been one of the Piqua cars. The Troy city car to operate until about when the D T discontinued it and abandoned its in the Raper Street and railroad area.

The Miami Valley was sold to the Cincinnati, Hamilton Railroad (steam) in 1902. It was to the Dayton Troy Electric locked itself into the populated corridor north of along the Miami River up to

The Dayton Troy Electric built a line from to Troy. In January 1901, as the D T major construction, City Shipman of Troy brought an against the D T to prevent it from the isolated trackage on Union even though the D T was planning to Troy along the McKaig and South Market Street. The council, even though granted an operating franchise to the D T, was unsettled over the final for entry into the town and along in a quandary after the D T had running cars up to Troy in 1901.

A number of other also contributed to the deteriorating between the D T and the Troy officials. The D T was to complete a physical connection to the Valley Electric Railway of the so called Troy city and the South Market Street crossing the Miami-Erie Canal the required destruction of several of shade trees which South Market Street of the business district in order to a physical connection with the M V. The construction of the M V saw several trees along the streets of Troy to the of the residents, an incident not soon

As the situation stood at the start up of the D T in August 1901, the electric moved between Tippecanoe and Dye Road on the southern edge of while construction continued that point along the ditch up to the Big Four Railroad. The Troy station for the D T was opened in a at 731 S. Market Street, at the corner of Market and West Streets and it was in November, 1901. In order to for this loss of physical a free hack service was from the public square to the end of town in order to make the

By early December in 1901, were running through the south corporation of Troy to every hour while touches were put on the line of Vandalia and at the Miami River on the north side of Dayton, opened on Dec. 19, 1901.

The of resolution over the entry Troy and connection with the M V to a head in 1902 with the D T a surprise entry into and up Market street. Quietly the built several pre-fabricated of track at the Tippecanoe shops and then onto flat along with power overhead wire, piles of and barrels. At the planned time, in the night. The work train and of men arrived at the south edge of and set straight to the task of completing the gap in between the D T and M V, a distance of a few hundred All that night the work laid the track panels on the put the poles into the barrels with rocks and strung the power wire.

The residents were unable to a court injunction and when the awoke the next morning found D T cars sitting on the square. Several trees victim to the construction, pouring into the open wounds of residents and again the line several damage suits the residents along South Street. The tracks eventually permanent and the suits were

As the year 1904 opened, the D T it would build a new passenger and station on South Market in Troy near the Canal. The on West Main Street sold. On May 19, the new union depot was in Troy, ending a few years of hopping for Troy citizens. In the Springfield Troy Piqua also moved into the

Power generating facilities based in Tippecanoe until when Dayton Power and began providing electric for the

The D T operated reliable passenger and service through Troy Aug. 10, 1932, when all was abandoned during the collapse of the railway systems across

The last electric railway to into Troy was the Springfield, and Piqua Railway. It was built Springfield to Troy, entering the on North Market Street. The car arrived in Troy July 14,

They did not initially have a to achieve downtown Troy and operated with a hack across the river until bridge could be completed.


The 150 bridge was constructed, starting 5, 1905 and handled the first car downtown Troy on August 11. were then handled out of the station built on South Street by the Dayton Tory Railway. With the arrival of tracks, the entire face of the Public Square was changed.

installed a double track in the of North Market Street the river bridge to the Square. The D T extended its second track on Main Street, breaking the into a series of small

Their power station was at Maitland, on the northwest side of A substation was located at Casstown to current to the west end of the line. The was marginal, it did not pass through any towns and struggled until was abandoned on October 23, 1920.

It was a early line to abandon service in Ohio.

brilliant electric car
brilliant electric car
brilliant electric car
brilliant electric car
brilliant electric car
brilliant electric car

Interesting

Other articles of the category "Interesting":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

423360519

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.


Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy