2011 Nissan Leaf Pros and Cons of living with an electric car Auto

24 Мар 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2011 Nissan Leaf Pros and Cons of living with an electric car Auto отключены

2011 Nissan Leaf: and Cons of living with an car

Comments Add

Test driving an car at an automaker’s media event is one Taking one home and living it is a completely different experience. just loaned me a Leaf for days and I came away a new appreciation for the potential pitfalls and of owning an EV.

First off, I liked the Leaf. It’s a comfortable car with more adequate power, it’s quiet and offers a decent range. In fact, it’s a long time since I was excited to bring a test car

But it wasn’t always a shiny, happy experience.

Let me state if you can only recharge from a outlet, the Leaf is not for you. Not if you a hefty commute and only own one that is.

John McElroy is of the TV program Autoline Detroit and web video Autoline Daily . week he brings his unique as a Detroit insider to Autoblog

The problem is that if you run the battery it takes 20 hours to fully the Leaf from a 110-volt That can force you into I call a charging deficit. You run out of hours in a day to fully recharge car. This is especially if you can’t recharge at work. So day, your possible range becomes a little bit until at some point, you have to park the car for nearly a

With 110 volts, you get about miles range for every of charging.

A 220-volt outlet solves the problem. It cuts the time by more than But if you are contemplating buying an EV and only access to 110-volt outlets, the Leaf probably shouldn’t be on shopping list.

You may want to the Chevrolet Volt. which has a battery pack and doesn’t as many hours to recharge.

Leaf comes with a charger, essentially a thick cord with a box full of attached to one end. It comes the factory nicely and neatly in a carrying case in the luggage But it’s bulky and awkward to

After the second time it, I gave up trying to coil it and stow it back in its case. I opened the hatch and dumped the in the back.

One morning, it was raining and so I had to a wet charger into the back of the I’m sure a lot of people not be happy doing that. And it only be worse if the charger covered in mud or snow or ice. Of parking the Leaf in a garage solve that problem.

contemplating buying an EV will want a garage, and a permanent charger. Those chargers about $2,000 installed, but at for now there are generous manufacturer to cover the cost.

The first I tried charging the Leaf, I get it right. Not one electron ended up in the So I came out the next morning to my driving range was down to 63 miles.

Talk about a deficit!

The problem was that I plug it in properly. The charging has a big, fat plug on the end, and the I used did not let the plug seat It stuck out a little bit, but not for me to notice. Nor did I notice that the lights on the charger failed to up.

No one told me to check the lights, so I know to check them.

I was sure I was doing everything When I plugged the charger the car, it beeped to let me know it was After that, a little of a plug appeared on the instrument With this kind of feedback, I naturally assumed everything was charging properly.

Later, a quick call to taught me there are three blue lights on the top of the instrument (viewable from outside of the that let you know if the Leaf is If they’re not on, nothing’s going the batteries. Again, I didn’t that. Stupid of me not to know, Of course.

But I’ll bet I’m not the one who has this happen.

I loved with the Leaf. There was something new to learn.

Another disappointment was that I was to set the automatic timer for the heater to on. One of the attractive aspects of EVs is that you can set the to your liking before you get in the while it’s still in. That way the batteries don’t to take a big hit to heat or cool it. So I set the at 74 degrees F and set the timer for 7 AM. But the next it was cold outside, and the car was just as

What went wrong? It out that when the Leaf is it will not let the heater or air-conditioning on. All the juice is diverted to the batteries.

tells me there is a way to set the car to charge to 80% or lower. And once the batteries hit level, then the automatic will come on. But no one ever me that.

And you definitely want to or cool the car while it’s in. That’s because your range drops by at least 10 the instant you turn on the heater. Of the range goes up if you turn the off.

So I found myself turning on the long enough to warm up my then switching it off. I was to extend my driving range but my toes never got very

A word about the heater. It reasonably well, but not all that In my experience it seemed to take to warm up than a conventional and never got as hot. Nissan have heated seats and a steering wheel as part of a weather package, but they’re not yet.

Heated seats are a efficient way to get warm and shouldn’t your driving range as

Despite all the setbacks, I loved with the Leaf. There was something new to learn. One of the coolest on the instrument panel is a readout of electrical consumption. It displays the consumption of the powertrain, the climate and the accessories.

I found myself playing around with It was amazing to see how little electricity the uses, and just as intriguing to see how the load increased going low-beams to high-beams.

Maybe you don’t care that. EVs are definitely not for everyone. But will satisfy most who are willing to deal with limitations.

I’m just all this in the hopes that EV enthusiasts will avoid the I ran into.

Airs every at 10:30AM on Detroit Public

Autoline Detroit Podcast

here to subscribe in iTunes

Autoline on Twitter for ongoing every day!

Nissan Cima Electric Cars
Nissan Cima Electric Cars

Interesting

Other articles of the category "Nissan":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy