2012 Toyota Prius c test drive and review

28 мая 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2012 Toyota Prius c test drive and review отключены
Toyota Prius c Electric Cars

Once again, Toyota ’em how its done

Okay, admit it — I was pretty when I heard Toyota was to parlay the Prius into an family of cars. Then the v came out, offering space with Prius-like economy, and I was half convinced. Now I’ve driven the new Prius c the baby Prius, if you will consider me won over.

Smaller easier

Making a small isn’t quite as straightforwards as it Perhaps you’ve noticed the latest crop of subcompact aren’t much more efficient than the compact sitting just above in their respective product It all comes down to aerodynamics: easier to make a longer car through the wind than a one.

Toyota ran into that with the Prius c, which is on the Yaris. The Prius c is nearly a and a half shorter than the so the only way to provide decent headroom was to give it a big, hatchback rear end, kills the aerodynamics. The Prius coefficient of drag is 0.28. to 0.25 for the regular Prius. explains why its EPA highway fuel estimate is lower — 46 MPG vs.

48 MPG for the Prius.

But the in-town figure is — 53 MPG for the c versus 51 for the Prius Toyota went on a witch-hunt for downsizing the battery and the hybrid and even using lighter-weight fabric. As a result, the Prius the scales at 2,496 lbs, the same as a base-model Honda

They then fitted a engine — 1.5 liters, powertrain engineer Satoshi told me is about as small as an engine can get while still enough torque for adequate Total combined output is 99 and the Prius c is reasonably quick town, although the little is really pushed to the max on steep Still, it does turn out stellar fuel economy.

I a handful of examples at a press in San Diego, and repeatedly saw fuel in the low- to mid-50s, with one 60 MPH run topping 60 MPG.

More Yes. More fun?

Prius c has a center-mounted digital just like the big Prius. are good, but the dashboard design is a little too hard to be hip.

Photo Aaron Gold

says they designed the c to be more fun to drive than the which, let’s face it, very difficult. So is it? Well. say it’s less not-fun the Prius, if that makes any It definitely feels lighter and nimble, and if you opt for the 16 alloy wheels only offered on the top-of-the-line c Four — it actually somewhat like a real

But the real fun is seeing just how miles you can squeeze out of a gallon of something the Prius c’s color display will coach you through, giving real-time feedback on your cruising, and braking techniques.

Toyota Prius c Electric Cars

The Prius c comes wrapped in a nicely-sized package which is to see out of and easy to park. I’m not about the dashboard; Toyota it’s youthful, while I it’s schizophrenic. But the material is up to Toyota’s usual standards, the seats are comfortable, the controls are to use, and the stereo sounds good.

The back seat is as as any other subcompact, and the trunk is a 17.1 cubic feet.

matters

What’s most — besides the gas mileage is the price. The base model, the Prius c One, starts at including power windows and air conditioning, and Bluetooth, while the Prius c Four gets wheels, navigation, push-button and lightweight pseudo-leather upholstery, all for Those prices put the Prius $4,000 higher than subcompacts, but I expect most drivers will see 50 to 53 MPG in town, to 30 to 35 MPG for a conventionally-powered car. At $3.50 per that saves about cents per mile — so around 130,000 miles to the cost difference.

Still, think of the bragging

The Prius c’s chief is the Honda Insight. which is around $600 cheaper. The has a more usable trunk at the of rear-seat headroom. But in terms of economy, it’s no contest. the Insight only averages 43 MPG.

Say goodnight, Honda.

So it like I was wrong to doubt the Prius family concept. The new c is an excellent addition, delivering hybrid fuel economy at a lower price point the regular Prius. And just every other Toyota it actually delivers the fuel it promises. I can’t wait for the addition to the Prius family. a perhaps? — Aaron

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "Toyota":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy