2013 Toyota Auris Hybrid review GreenMotor co uk

7 Июн 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2013 Toyota Auris Hybrid review GreenMotor co uk отключены
TOYOTA Auris Hybrid

15 February 2013

Rating: 4 out of 5

Good: Quiet, refined,

Bad: Iffy details, vision

Price: from

The latest Toyota Auris is lower and leaner than the it replaces, with sharpened tautened surfaces and a much hawkish look about its Doubtless it s meant to look athletic, an outward reflection of the changes to steering and suspension under the skin, to try to make British-built car more poised and than before.

So Toyota won t thank me for saying that I can remember some of the trips I in the new Hybrid version of the car, a busy week that an unusual number of journeys to distant places.

However, absence of impression is not meant as If I can call to mind exactly I heard on the radio as I sailed up the M1, but can t whether noise levels intrusive at speed, it must that they weren t. The soundproofing swaddling the engine stuffed into the wheelarches and behind the dashboard has clearly its job.

As has the six-speaker, DAB-equipped stereo.

unobtrusive while deftly every need isn t easy, all. Just stop and the staff in any fine restaurant or as they move quietly Fading into the background is work.

So I certainly don t mean the Auris Hybrid is dull or It s neither of those things, but it isn t or in-your-face either.

Much of the car s demeanour stems from its hybrid powertrain, which is quiet and unfussy in operation you adjust to the peculiar toggle-style

The powerplant is broadly unchanged the previous Auris Hybrid or the current Prius, from the components have been A 1.8-litre four-cylinder petrol provides up to 98bhp, with 80bhp on tap from the hybrid motor. Their combined peak at 134bhp, propelling the car via a variable transmission (CVT) divorces engine speed road speed.

At low speed, or setting off, the engine is silent as the car makes progress on power alone.

The most familiar gripe CVT cars a frantic mashing from the engine room hard acceleration has largely soothed away in the Auris through a combination of better and more effective use of the available shove.

Getting from to 62mph takes 10.9 but the initial surge away a standstill can feel a lot brisker that number suggests, if you first prod the power ahead of the gear lever. unleashes full juice and a 207Nm of torque from the motor, which like all motors gives its best at low revs. If you end up in the wrong lane at the of a traffic-light queue, for example, you can most other cars the first 30 yards to sort out, get in the right lane, back into normal and relax.

There is also an eco that softens throttle noticeably. It is perfectly tolerable, around town, as long as you re in a Zen of mind. It makes a big difference to too: I completed one 200-mile trip in this mode and saw

Without it, I generally hovered in the mid never troubling the official figure of 72.4mpg.

The layout of in the hybrid system has been over the old Auris Hybrid, bundled its battery into the eating into luggage In the new model, the nickel-metal-hydride cells instead been stashed the rear seat alongside the tank, leaving the 360-litre for your shopping. The same tactic in the Yaris Hybrid led to a fuel tank and reduced but in the larger Auris the Hybrid can swallow the same 50 litres of as its conventional counterparts.

TOYOTA Auris Hybrid

In the top-spec trim of my 21,745 test the 17-inch wheels haven t to ruin the ride but they nibbled at the CO2 score. On 15-inch in mid-range Icon trim, the manages 87g/km, versus on the bigger alloys. The Icon is cheaper too, of course, at

Excel trim brings seats that offer comfort and support in appropriate plus some fierce elements that feel like you ve sat on a toaster. Excel also adds a clutch of systems including rain-sensing that successfully sense automatic lights, keyless park assist, and squawking sensors both front and My vehicle also came Touch Go a questionable name for a 650 upgrade that adds a touchscreen, excellent navigation Bluetooth and USB connections, plus a reversing camera.

The camera is a help, given that the aggressive styling has resulted in a window not much bigger a pencil, wiped by a wiper the of a toothbrush. Fortunately the view in directions is better, with the screen pillars not proving too of a blight up front.

The interior as a is tasteful and restrained a huge up from the gauche blunders in that blighted the previous I m not sure if the stitched leather is Excel-level only, but I liked it.

Not everything inside is quite as top as that neat stitching suggest, however. There s a to minor items that you won t in a new Golf, for example. Shut off an in the Golf and you ll feel only precision followed by a click.

Do the in the Auris and you ll simply sense sliding on plastic until it can t any further.

More obviously, the clock on the dashboard appears to been sourced from a shop.

Still, there are a few that manage to surprise and The needle of the economy gauge change colour from white to glowing red as it sweeps out of the eco and into the power section, reminding you that you re probably fuel. It s a subtle but lovely touch.

And while the new Auris can t match the aggression of its snout, is a car that can go around corners collapsing in a heap of wobbles. models get fully independent rear suspension, rather the simple twist-beam arrangement in the lesser reaches of the range, the electrically assisted steering firm and direct there are turns lock to lock before. On twisty and bumpy lanes it all comes together well.

If you want to trim hedges in Auris Hybrid you ll have the wrong car, however. of other cars beat it in the of cheap thrills by which I an exciting drive combined great fuel economy. If, by you want to waft your way A to B, I can t think of many better

TOYOTA Auris Hybrid
TOYOTA Auris Hybrid
TOYOTA Auris Hybrid

Interesting articles

Other articles of the category "Toyota":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy