2013 Toyota Prius V Eric Peters Autos

28 мая 2014 | Author: | Комментарии к записи 2013 Toyota Prius V Eric Peters Autos отключены
Toyota Prius v Electric Cars

2013 Toyota Prius V

by • September 17, 2013 13 Comments

Most reviews of vehicles talk up their gas an important consideration, no doubt. But are other considerations.

Overall usefulness, for instance.

The Prius V is Toyota-speak for a Prius wagon is a for-instance.

It s the only mid-sized wagon out there at least, the one that you can buy for about $26k or so.

The thing is the Ford C-Max which has the virtue of quickness but the of smallness . It is closer to compact mid-sized and has considerably less for stuff behind the seats does the Prius V: 24.5 feet vs. 34.3 for the Toyota.

the Prius V has its weaknesses, too including a gas drop relative to the regular (44 city, 40 highway vs. 51 city, 48 It s also got less real for passengers than the C-Max

And, it s really slow. In because it s just too damned .

Let s take a closer look

The V is a wagon-ized version of the mid-sized hybrid. Its chief draw is versatility than the regular sedan.

Prices start at for the base Two trim, which automatic climate control AC, a stereo rig and 16 inch steel with plastic covers. At the is the $30,295 Five with alloy wheels, SofTex leather seat covers, LED and all the stuff that already with the mid-trim Three including navigation/LCD display and s Entune electronic interface.

The Prius hatchback sedan at $24,200.

The Prius V s main is the Ford C-Max, which out last year. Though overall, it does offer the layout, as well as much acceleration and comparable fuel

Base price for that one is

There are virtually no changes for because a major update is on The entire Prius line is to be revamped and will be sold as beginning sometime in early year 2014.

From initial/non-official leakage, the Prius will be sexed-up to be aesthetically and viscerally appealing the current iterations and to be more the peppy/personality-abounding Ford C-Max.

a plug-in version will be too.

WHAT S GOOD

room for stuff .

More for stuff than Ford

Pretty decent MPGs for its

Doesn t have that interesting but functionally awkward center console the standard has.

WHAT S NOT SO GOOD

Not as room for people (in both as in the C-Max.

44 city/40 highway is no shakes anymore for non-hybrid

Droning/overtaxed engine.

C-Max is two quicker to 60 and gets the same It also costs about less to start.

The Prius V has the basic drivetrain as the regular 1.8 liter gas engine teamed up a pair of electric motors and a pack for a combined output of 134 hp.

Two however, must be mentioned:

The V is 230 pounds heavier than the Prius (3,274 lbs. vs. and it does not have the latest efficient) type of battery ion which is already being in the regular Prius. The V uses metal hydride (NiMH) which limit how far the car can be driven on only as well as how fast it can be on electric power only.

You can along for about a mile, if the are fully charged —  at 20-ish MPH. Any faster or and the gas engine kicks on.

The additional weight and no-longer-state-of-the-art batteries why the V is slow pokey relative to the standard Prius as well as the C-Max, which has the perkier ion batteries also.

Zero to 60 in the V about 10.5 seconds vs. 10 flat for the regular Prius and a zippier 8.8 seconds for the Ford.

EPA rates the V thusly: 44 city, 40 This is less than the (and lithium-ion assisted) Prius, which manages 51 and 48 highway. However, it s still as good as the newer-design Ford s 45 40 highway.

During my weeklong I averaged 42.2 MPG.

The likable quality of the Prius V is not so that it s slow which it is but its engine is audibly overworked. It a lot of noise unhappy noise, as my describes it. There is an almost-constant groaning emanating from the hood, from which you get a respite when your is entirely off the gas pedal (as when down a hill). At almost all times, the engine is an audible and not in a good way. Some engines sound all right or at not unpleasant.

The overworked 1.8 in the Prius is noisy and unpleasantly noisy.

I don t the engine, though. The 1.8 liter is s small block Chevy put it (or a version of it) in numerous other models and even in the regular it does ok.

But in the V, not so much. Because s simply too much weight for it to with.

The regular Prius be screaming, too. if a couple of 230 guys (or one small block engine) were plopped on its seats.

The thing to know is The V is much closer to marginal (in of power/performance) than the standard as a result of its empty curb With two good-sized adults to the tally, the V s 134 hp Maximum Effort is almost 3,700 pounds. is an equation whose sum equals forward motion accompanied by the of sadness.

The C-Max Ford is more athletic and its engine . That it also manages to the same (slightly better, mileage really puts the on the Prius.

Another curveball is diesel-powered like the VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI price $26,250). Though not as fuel efficient as the Prius V 30 42 highway it is also (like the much quicker on its feet the V: zero to 60 in about 8.9 seconds.

You can get a much-more-fun-to-play with manual (six speed!) in the Jetta TDI vs. the Boy toggle shifter and CVT automatic in the

Where the Prius continues to however, is in bumper-to-bumper driving. In conditions I ve found it s possible doable to better the EPA rated 44 Because in part you can operate in EV mode) for longer periods of and also because the gas engine, it s on, doesn t have to work as vs. trying to maintain say 70 MPH on the highway.

is why you ll see a goodly number of Prius Vs in as taxis in big cities.

The flip of this, of course, is that the V the regular Prius) are at a disadvantage on the which for their layout is the scenario, as far as maximizing MPGs. If you do a lot of driving, a car like the TDI Jetta probably be a better choice any current hybrid.

The V s ride is firm probably a function of all unsprung mass. It s ok on smooth but dips in the road and potholes be felt. My test car was a Five the upgrade 17 inch wheel/tire which, frankly, strike me as wheels/tires for a hybrid.

They more, they ride and they wear out faster. The Two with the 16 inch wheel/tire rides smoother and the tires to cost less to replace and wear less rapidly, For sure, the plastic wheel will cost you less to if damaged, than the alloy

There s no mistaking the dowdy of the Prius. It defined hybrid that distinctive Al Gorean, look serving as much as the hybrid drivetrain to popularize an new way of getting from A to B. It s the apotheosis of but there is beauty in that,

The V wagon all the more so.

Behind the row, there is 34.3 feet of space for Whatever vs. cubes in the standard Prius.

And cubes in the Ford C-Max.

the second row and the V has 67.3 cubes of space available behind the and front row passenger seats vs. a 39.6 cubes, total . in the hatchback sedan.

The C-Max, its second row down, has just cubes of capacity.

True During the week I had the V, I helped a of my wife s move her office to a new office. We got two chairs, a fold-out table, a set of curtain rods and large bags full of odds and ends into the with room for more available. With the regular or the C-Max we d have had to make two back and forth instead of the one.

To be fair to the Ford, I mention that it has more leg and in both rows than the larger overall Prius V. It the is 181.7 inches long vs. for the C-Max, a difference of 8.1 inches. Yet it the has 43.1 inches of front legroom and 36.5 inches in the row vs. 41.3 for the V up front and 35.9 in the second row.

Now you know the why the V has so much more cargo

However, despite having total people space the Ford, I can testify there is plenty of space for all but the extremely I m 6ft 3 which is probably taller 95 percent of the public- and it fits me room to spare. If you re less than I am, you definitely will not the V cramped in either row.

Another difference already on between the V and the standard Prius is the normal interior layout. The V have the same feeling-less shifter which provides tactile feedback but it does not the stylistically daring but functionally floating center console. there s a conventional and accessible storage cubby, with a in-between-the-seats armrest/storage area. The slightly unusual design is the placement of the hybrid drivetrain s driver-selectable modes ECO, EV and on top of the arm rest and too near the single It is very easy to spill onto these buttons and probably don t appreciate it.

Hopefully, the Prius will have controls mounted someplace vulnerable to a sloshing cup of Starbucks

There is one other thing the V about every current that is insufferable. But, it s probably easy enough to fix is, to turn off . I refer here to the and  uber -loud DING! DING!

DING! erupts whenever the driver the car in reverse. I suppose it s there the Prius, being a hybrid, can be quiet silent, almost, if it s on just the batteries and the noise is there to warn pedestrians of the car s maneuvering.

That s well-intended. But the consequence is that noise is annoying and very distracting. It is to think to focus on the task at when you are being auditorially in this way.

The buzzer has got to go.

stuff: The current V s age shows in the GPS display and also the Entune that are available. The 14s including the new I recently reviewed (see ) have a updated version of with more apps and the is free . Inside Skinny: will include the free and updated Entune in all 2014

I hope the dual gloveboxes over, too.

THE BOTTOM

Should you wait a few months for the Unless Toyota nixxes the body style or really up the price I d say there is good to. It s a near-certainty that the next-generation will be more fuel (standard lithium-ion battery and probably perform a bit better,

Without doubt, it will the very latest in gadgetry and such as the most recent of Entune and probably a more appealing (and hopefully, informative) GPS display.

One should keep in mind that they come out early year, the 2015s are probably to be very popular, at least the newness hubub dies Until that does it s a good bet dealers will be to sell every one they get at MSRP and forget about it down. The next guy in line happily pay whatever you won t.

Meanwhile, last few 13s could be deals dealers are willing to deal. My is they will be, especially as the creeps closer to January 1,

If you can snap up a current V for less MSRP, it might be a better slightly dated apps than a 15 at full sticker (or

Throw it in the Woods?

PS . We  have Google and Google ads in the woods.   blacklisted us so  we  dumped them. See for the full story about . So, we need  your  support to a go of it and keep EPautos rolling.

consider supporting this web in whatever way you re able. The link to our area is here .

Interesting

Other articles of the category "Toyota":

Twitter-news
Our partners
Follow us
Contact us
Our contacts

dima911@gmail.com

About this site

For all questions about advertising, please contact listed on the site.

Catalog ALL Electric Cars and hybrid/ News and Information about Electric Car and Electric Vehicle Technologies, batteries for vehicle catalog with specifications, pictures, ratings, reviews and discusssions about Electric and Hybrid cars - Green energy